Somewhat Daily Quote

“If you can make one person listen to you, you can make the world hear you.”

~Anthony Kong

Playlists

Translate

Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Darkest Truths: Chapter Five

Chapter 5
          
                 I hadn't seen Nick in a week. After Keshens left, he had come up with a brilliant plan; I'm not saying that Nick's stupid or anything, because he's not, he's actually in the top ten of our class, but he was so fueled by anger and rage that he didn't stop to think his plan through. His big idea was that he was going to knock the guards down when they came in, run down the hallway, and find an exit so we all could escape.

And believe me, if it had been that easy I would have done it the first day and we all would have been long gone.
           
            Needless to say, things didn't go according to plan. He got into the hallway just fine, but the twenty guards that rushed him were too much. They dragged him away and all I could do is stand there and watch, struggling in a guards iron grip. I felt so helpless.
           
             Since then, they've barely let us out of our cells. And I got more and more worried as the days went by, it's not like Nick and I were buddy buddy or anything, but we were all in this together and I cared about what happened to him.

Suddenly, I heard the unmistakable sound of guard’s boots clumping down the hall, which was odd because they rarely ventured, pass my cell unless it was time to give me my one meal of the day, and even stranger, it sounded like they were dragging something along with them.
           
            "We can just throw 'im in here, that way they get an example of what happens when they try to escape," one of the guards outside my cell said.
           
            His partner must have agreed with him because in the next moment my door was opened and Nick, banged up, bruised, and covered in blood, was shoved through the door, barely making it a step before he collapsed in a heap.

I rushed to him, and kneeled down to assess his injuries. He didn't have any broken bones, which was a relief because if he did I don't think I would have been able to set them, but he did have a bucket load of slashes, cuts, most likely from a serrated knife, and bruises covering his body. Boy had he gotten a beating.

After cleaning his cuts best I could with the hem of my shirt and a small bowl of water that was left in my room, I sat cross-legged on the floor next to him and cradled his head in my lap.
           
             I have no idea what possessed my to do it, but I slowly began to soothe down his wild hair when his eyes flickered open.
           
            "Rayven?" he questioned, his eyes not focusing yet.
           
             "Yes," I said, "you sure took a heck of a beating, from the looks of it. I'm surprised you can talk at all,"

He gave me a weak smile, "It's not as bad as it looks,"

I gave him a skeptical look, "Somehow I just don't believe you,"
           
            He chuckled then winced in pain, "Nothing gets by you, does it?"
          
            I shook my head, "Why don't we try to get you more comfortable," I said.
  
He nodded, and I helped maneuver him to the small mattress in the corner that served as my bed.

Once I had him lying down and was sure that he was comfortable, I started to get up from my kneeling position at the bed-side when he caught my hand.

Startled, I looked up and met his eyes only to be caught in his intense green gaze; I was trapped.

Something changed between us right then, I don't know what, but something had changed.
           
              I took a few more minutes but I was finally able to tear my gaze away from his, I started to pull away but his voice stopped me.
           
              "Please stay," Nick whispered in a voice that sounded so vulnerable, so unlike him, that it made me freeze once more.
           
             Should I stay? Or should I tell him to get some rest and curl up on the floor?

         I made the mistake of looking at him. Even though his face was bruised and cut-up his gorgeous green eyes were still bright and intense, and completely fixed on me, begging.

I sighed. My choice had been made. I stayed.







No comments:

Post a Comment