Somewhat Daily Quote

“If you can make one person listen to you, you can make the world hear you.”

~Anthony Kong

Playlists

Translate

Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Darkest Truths: Chapter Six

Chapter 6

My eyes snapped open, and at once I was alert, trying to pinpoint the sound that had awoken me. As feeling returned to the rest of my body I looked down to find Nick's warm arm encircling my waist, I cast a quick glance over my shoulder to find him awake and alert as well. He quietly put his finger to his lips making the universal "shhh" motion, and I replied with the slight nod of my head. We had to wait a few minutes before we heard it; the sound of someone sneaking down the hall, the sound someone makes when they know they shouldn't be there.
      
        Nick and I exchanged a look and eased ourselves out off the makeshift bed. We pressed ourselves against the wall on either side of the door and breathed quietly as the persons steps grew closer, and closer, until they stopped right outside the cell door.

Nick held up a hand in a "wait" gesture, I rolled my eyes and I shot him a look that basically screamed 'No duh'.  The door swung silently open and the figure stepped in, he wasn't much taller than Nick. The moon gave off just enough light so I could see him clearly even though he was dressed completely in black, he didn't look much older than us; he had longish hair that was pure white, and deep, sapphire blue eyes behind a set of wire rimmed glasses that would have seemed dorky on anyone else, but they almost made him seem tougher somehow.

My instincts told me that he wasn't a threat; he was a friend.
           
            "Who are you," I whispered and ignored Nick as he shot me daggers for revealing myself.
           
            The boy looked directly at me and replied, "My name is James Trace, and I have powers like you,"

"What are you doing here," I questioned.

"I'm here to help you. Now, if you would please tell your friend standing behind me to come along, we can spring the rest of your friends and get out of here before they notice you've gone," He said, calm as could be, while Nick and I exchanged a look of surprise.
           
            Nick moved to stand next to me and together we followed James out the door. All three of us made our way down the hall getting everyone else out as we went until everyone was present.
           
            We were all on our way out when we passed a room marked 'Archives' and I stopped dead in my tracks.
           
            "Come on Rayven," Nick hissed, "We have to keep moving,"
             
        I shook my head and said, "I'll just be a minute, I want to duck in here quick and see if they have any information on all of us. Don't you want to know what kind of powers you have, if at all?"

His voice got lower and more commanding, "Of course I do, but it can wait. Getting all of us out of here is number one on my list of priorities right now,"

I directed my attention to James, it was obvious that, whether Nick liked it or not, he was in charge right now, "I'll be really fast,"

"And I'll go with her," Tara piped up.
           
           He nodded once, "Alright, but be quick about it, we'll be waiting by the gates," James said.

If looks could kill, Nick would have killed James ten times over in that moment.
           
             Everyone else continued on while Tara and I slipped inside. In the center of the room there was a big computer and Tara made a path strait for it, she sat down in the desk chair and started clicking the mouse and typing codes on the keyboard. A few minutes later she spoke, "I've got something,"

"Can you print it," I asked.

"Yes," she replied.    
           
             I nodded, "Do it."
           
            She hit print and collected the papers as they spurted from the machine.
           
             And right then, because this is my life, a warning alarm began to shriek and the sounds of running boots filled the halls.




No comments:

Post a Comment