Somewhat Daily Quote

“If you can make one person listen to you, you can make the world hear you.”

~Anthony Kong

Playlists

Translate

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Darkest Truths: Chapter One

Chapter 1

"Rayven!  Wake up! You're going to be late for school," my mom called, shaking me out of my dreams.

"Coming," I yelled back.

I got out of bed and hurriedly dressed in my usual- blue jeans, black t-shirt, and Nikes- and raced to the kitchen. I entered to find my little sister, Katie, already there and ready for school. I smiled warmly at her.

"Morning," I said.

"Good morning," Katie chirped.

That's my sister, mousy brown hair, eyes to match, and a winning personality. Got to love her.

Just then, the bus pulled up, Katie and I each kissed our mom on the cheek and made a mad dash to it. We got on and sat together, as always.

Nothing ever changes around here, I thought.

We got to the elementary school first and dropped Katie's eight-year-old-butt off before going to the high school.

As I made my way to the doors of West High, I was joined by my best friends, Maya and Jace. I’ve always found it strange that our school was called “West” High because, A) it’s located on the east end of town, and B) It’s the only high school in our small town.

I've known Jace since first grade, I know more about this 5' 6'', blonde haired, blue eyed boy than anyone. He loves soccer and is amazingly loyal, but he tends to be stubborn, temperamental, and, at times, a bit irrational.

Maya- I haven't known her as long as Jace, since third grade, but sill along time. She's a bit timid and has the shy girl look down to a T, brown hair and innocent bright blue eyes, but she's always ready to fight by my side when I need it.

I am so lucky to have such great friends. I-

"Incoming! Look out," someone yelled.

Before I could even process what was said my reflexes kicked into high gear, I spun around and caught the baseball seconds before it would have hit the back of my head.

Dead silence.

I glanced around, everyone was starring, having caught the entire show.

"Hey, sorry, are you okay? My aim's a bit off today," said a familiar voice. I did a quick scan to see who had spoken.

Oh no, not-

"It's fine, don't worry about it Nick," I responded.

Just. My. Luck. Of all people, it had to be Nick. The bad-boy baseball star, the one almost every girl in school had their eye on- except me.

Sure, I'll admit it, he's is cute; what, with his tousled dark brown hair and soulful green eyes. But his personality sucks and I seem to be the only one who notices it. He's arrogant, self-centered, and a complete jerk. Totally not my type.

"That was a pretty impressive catch. How'd you do that?" Nick asked.

I opened my mouth to reply but Jace was already answering for me.

"Didn't you know? Rayven's been in Tae Kwon Do since she was four, she's a black belt. It was all reflex," he boasted.

"Really," Nick looked to me for conformation; his expression was both surprised and impressed.

I nodded, "Yup. Anyway, we'll see you later Nick. Oh, and watch your aim next time," I grabbed both my friends arms and we walked away.

Apparently my last comment pissed him off, because he yelled at me, rage filling his voice, "Why don't you just stay out of my way! Next time I'll make sure it hits you,"

I rolled my eyes and kept walking.

What a jerk!

No comments:

Post a Comment